Rebar couplers, also known as mechanical splices, join the lengths of two reinforcing bars together. They are a necessary component of any construction project. Many building code requirements today require longer lap lengths for certain reinforcing bar sizes. Mechanical couplers help get rid of the lap simply and affordably.
Reinforcing Bar Couplers
To provide the highest quality construction, the highest quality rebar and mechanical splicing available must be used. Stainless Steel reinforcing components used in concrete construction protect the full integrity of a structure making it last longer. Reinforcing materials in concrete are subject to chloride attack no matter the location, although ocean environments are most severe. Using corrosion resistant materials, even if limited to applications where corrosion attack can be expected, will enhance performance life and reduce or eliminate costly maintenance and repair of all concrete structures.
Some of the benefits of using mechanical splicing include:
- Quick installation
- Threaded design, providing structural continuity
- Bar ends as strong as the bars themselves
- Higher tensile strength than lap splicing bar ends
When it comes to a mechanical splice, couplings made from stainless steel are more resistant to corrosion than other metals. Coatings can be damaged from installation or during the pour, leaving spots uncoated and unprotected. Stainless steel is inherently corrosion resistant through the entire cross section of the coupling with no coating that can be chipped or damaged resulting in points of chloride attack.
Queen City Forging can help you optimize your design to assure the most cost-efficient component to meet the critical design requirements. Our team uses current technology, assisting you through each step of the design and manufacturing process to assure you have the product to do the job.
Stainless Steel Rebar Coupler Types
Mechanical splice couplers can be designed to fit the standard market rebar grades. The product best for your project depends on the building codes and the conditions of your structure.
Mechanical couplers may have:
- Internal threads
- Different options for threading and swaging
Stainless Steel Forgings
Stainless Steel Forged Fittings
Stainless Forged Pipe Fittings
Quality couplers can maintain their strength in concrete construction even through temperature fluctuation. When you start your concrete construction project, you should consult your building codes to see the mandatory strength for your mechanical splicing.
Whether you need a greater strength or the same strength as the parent bar, Queen City Forging can help you with your connection need design through the engineering process.
Stainless Steel Rebar Coupler Dimensions
Queen City Forging has the experience and expertise to help customers create the custom coupler in volume for the specific concrete construction project. For custom dimensions we can help create the forging drawings and designs that assure best fit to your needs.
Rebar Coupler Testing
Couplers are essential parts of construction systems, so building codes often require manufacturers to perform various tests. These tests ensure that the couplers you use meet a base performance level. We can arrange testing to assure unique and custom designs forged perform to required standards.
Some of the tests include:
- Tension and compression tests: These tests determine the couplers’ failure points. Based on code systems, reinforcing bars need to surpass the strength of the rebar by a set percentage
- Temperature tests: Temperature tests examine how the bars stand up in extreme weather conditions. Certain splicing materials may hold up better than others in concrete construction
- Slip tests: Slip tests assess the rebar movement in a coupler.
- Cyclical load tests: These tests apply stress to determine the strength of the coupler used. The results tell you how soon a type of splice may fail
- Corrosion: Corrosion tests ensure that your bars and coupler systems will withstand the elements for a long time
At Queen City Forging, we work with certified testing labs to assure confidence in the end product. We provide expert solutions from design to delivery. Our goal is to help make your project a success.